Thursday, May 19, 2005

Eurovision preview

Saturday night is eurovision. Since a certain big player on the international stage is probably sick of Europe by now, I'm taking the precaution of videoing the big night so I can enjoy it at leisure.

Seriously poor rhyme seems to be the order of the day: Bulgaria's Kaffe can "still remember Lorraine in the rain", and I can do no better than reproduce the first verse of Nuno Resende's "Le grande soir":

Ce soir, tous ces regards
Là dans le noir
La peur et l’espoir
Ce soir, il n’est pas trop tard
de croire
Aux rêves de gloire
Ce soir, une lumière, dans un éclair, changer d’histoire

Very powerful, I'm sure you'll agree. The use of "avoir" in the third verse is in particular touching.

Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereafter B&H) have gone all meta- on us, with a song about Eurovision. Quite how they portray that on stage should be a treat.

Finland's Geir Rönning is a champion of the amateur philosoph, bellowing "Why?" and asking "Will we ever find the answer?" He isn't too aloof, however, to end the first thee lines of his song with, repectively, "burning", "yearning" and "returning". Perhaps the question he is considering is "What does Boris from Croatia mean when he says 'I am like leaves carried by the wind
Wolves die alone'?"

"My persistence is outrageous
You'll be mine cause I'm contagious" - That's Cypriot men for you...

Greece answers "You're delicious
So capricious
If I find out you don’t want me I'll be vicious" Gosh. So they'll
be giving each other the full twelve points then.


My favourite so far is Austria, who sing a trumpet filled song about a girl from cuba who falls for a yodelling austrian.

No comments: