Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Noel

Someone foolishly mentioned Deal or no Deal, and I was going to "go off on one" about it, and how it's shit, but compelling, and then I remembered this article by Charlie Brooker , and I guess it says most of what I wanted to anyway.

`Every afternoon, Noel's basically taking part in an improvisational drama workshop in which he plays the hysterical id of a man arbitrarily flipping a series of coins.

`"Christ, I hope it comes up heads. If it doesn't come up heads we're in serious trouble. I do NOT want to see heads now. Not heads. Please God no ... IT'S TAILS! HOORAY! Well played! How skilful! OK, time to flip the next coin ..."'

I would pay good money to see someone take the first money offered and then play the "let's see what would have happened game for the rest of the forty minutes.

4 comments:

Abaculus said...

Dude, what's your email address now?

Your Blogger profile still says you're in Bath, by the way.

Tom said...

I did actually see an episode where that happened -- the only episode of the UK Deal Or No Deal. Noel had to play out a massive hypothetical scenario. The US version is kind of a huge celebration of its own vacuousness. It is hosted by a man called Howie Mandel. The people holding the cases are all models dressed identically, and the contestants are encouraged to whoop and cheer and dance about as much as possible. On an episode this week, a woman whose husband was serving in Iraq as a marine was playing. He was able to advise her on whether to deal or not via video, and was backed by a load of other marines sitting on a jeep who kept screaming "No Deal!" and gesticulating wildly. Then Jay Leno rode in on a white Harley Davidson, which formed part of one of the bank offers.

Omission said...

Tom, have you been eating the discount offal...?

Tom said...

I wish I had. I wish I had.