Tuesday, April 25, 2006

My hovercraft is full of eels...

Mary's ill at the moment, with a nasty cough, so, being the gentleman that I am, I checked in the dictionary for the word for cough. Husten. Unfortunately, my brain gets bored on the way and decides to play chinese whispers with itself, whereupon Husten becomes Hutten, then Hütten.

"Excuse me",
I said to the pharmacist, "what do you have for cottages (Hütten)?"

"Pardon?"

"My wife watched (
Hüttet). What do you have for her?"

Never mind. I started German lessons again yesterday. Everything will be fine...

3 comments:

Abaculus said...

That is very funny, and worthy of the kind of sitcom you get at 8pm on Tuesday on ITV.

Do the Swiss have the same reaction as the English to you explaining that your wife has been watching you cottaging?

Omission said...

Not really. More bemusement than anything else.

I'm mentally drawing a Venn diagram of "very funny" and "ITV sitcom" and all I'm getting is two disjoint circles. That said, on Saturday afternoon ITV are showing "Up Pompeii", which I know has a special place in all our hearts...

Anonymous said...

I had similar experince... My mind somehow also played a trick and instead of Hals (throat) I said, that my Hase (rabbit) is sore... Again it was more funny for me, than for the german fella, who had to figure out what do mean...